How to Avoid Transportation Scams
From your Toronto Airport and Taxi Transportation Experts at Airflight Services
Navigating through a foreign city can be difficult. If you don’t know the area very well—or at all—you’ll likely have to rely on transportation services to take you through the city. Unfortunately, relying on strangers to get you from point A to point B can pose a number of problems. Transport scams are a huge issue in major cities like Toronto. It’s important to know what these scams look like, and how to avoid them before you get into somebody’s car. Fortunately, here at Airflight Services, we provide reliable Toronto airport limousine and taxi transportation service throughout the city. Let us give you a few tips about what to look out for and how to avoid common transportation scams.
Types of scams
Most scams involving transportation are fairly easy to spot, provided you know what to look for. Here’s a short list of some of the most common scams you might come across when travelling through the streets of Toronto:
- Broken metre scam. Often drivers will declare that the metre is broken at the end of your trip and demand that you pay an inflated price for your journey.
- Changing the metre. Sometimes, the driver will turn the metre away from the passenger so that they can change the rate on the metre without you knowing.
- Taking you for a ride. Sometimes drivers will take you on a route that’s much longer than it needs to be.
- Fake Uber drivers. Sometimes, drivers will stand near their cars by the airport and claim to be Uber drivers. The result will be their charging nearly double what you would have paid in a car ordered through the app.
How to avoid these scams
Here are a few tips on what you can do to avoid transportation scams:
- Be sure the metre is working before you get in a cab.
- Always make sure the metre is in view at all times throughout your journey.
- Always order Uber rides through the app.
- Use cab stands whenever possible. This ensures their credibility.
- Use a taxi service with a flat rate.
- Never leave valuables in the trunk. Cab drivers will try to hold your luggage hostage until you pay their inflated fees.
- Use our Toronto airport transportation service whenever possible.